Friday, January 25, 2013

My Addiction to All Things g

A few years ago if someone had told me I would not only cloth diaper my child(ren) but also become addicted I would have laughed in there face, but here I am with my beautiful baby boy and a nice stash of adorable fluff. When we found out I was pregnant I immediately started researching all things baby (as I'm sure every FTM does); all I knew was that I had an overwhelming desire to breastfeed which surprised me because I was not breastfed myself, nor were any of my siblings and I have never really been around anyone who breastfed their children (so I thought). We did toy around with the idea of cloth diapering but only to save money, I did a little bit of research on it and eventually we stopped talking about it and were probably just going to use disposables like "normal" people. One day I decided to drag Hubby to a Babies R Us expo event so we could see some of the cool baby stuff in action (and maybe win some of it), one of the demonstrators was for gDiapers. She started wooing me with talk about less diaper rash and eco-friendly and easier potty training, I was sold and a Newborn starter kit was added to me registry. Of course no one bought it however we did receive an overwhelming amount of Pampers... and no I'm not complaining because after having an emergency c-section that opened up less then a week later I was not up for going up & down the stairs that often to do laundry.
We started using gs when Minion was about 6 weeks old and there has been no turning back. I am constantly stalking Facebook buy/sell/trade groups and Craigslist for different patterns, having customs made and wanting anything that says gDiapers on it (especially the coveted gMug!). I even co-hosted a gGathering in the fall where I met a bunch of other mamas who love gs, and I can't wait to plan another one. So far I have about 17 different gPants, a gMum shirt, striped gLegs and I can't even tell you how many pouches (I refuse to run out). I also have about 36 gCloths but will most likely start selling them once I get my new inserts. And that's only my mediums :)
Hubby was totally on board in the beginning but now claims it's to complicated and prefers to use disposables, honestly I think he is just revolting against my addiction hoping I will stop and agree with him...YEAH RIGHT. So we compromised, most of the time (including while at the babysitters) Minion is in a cute fluffy g but at night and when Hubby has him while I'm at work he wears disposables. I love my gs and will not back down!
I do have one complaint though, I have terrible luck with gCloths, Minion leaks right through them in about an hour. I don't like the way they fit into the pouch, I feel they are much to small and recently started using charcoal/bamboo inserts and and in love all over again. I bought 5 to start and less then a week later I bought 15 more (can't wait for them to arrive!), and I still want more. The biodegradable/flushable (A.K.A. flushies) inserts are great for going out (I don't flush them though I just throw them away, the flushing is a bit complicated and you still have to throw part of it in the trash anyway). Many people compost the non-poop flushies but I'm not a composter either. They also make liners to put over the cloths for easy poop clean up but to me it's not really a big deal, it's only poop after all and since Minion is breast fed it comes right off.
I'm also not a fan of gInflation, which has nothing to do with the gDiapers company. That happens when a solid or pattern gPant becomes hard to find and so people charge crazy amounts of money for them, which only works because people are willing to pay it. I am not one of those people, I refuse to let myself pay more then $25 and have only gone over once or twice and not by much. Sure I may miss out on some of the greats like a Cycle but I did manage to score a Camper for $31 and part of the money went to charity so I didn't mind.
All in all, I highly recommend gDiapers and talk them up to people all the time. I leave coupons from my gMum kit at my local Babies R Us and other Mama's do too. A gMum is someone who signs up with gDiapers to promote and every now and then the company will send out a package with a ton of coupons and a present for the Mama (which doubles as advertising for the company). Another downside...the gDiapers.com does not take their own coupons but any store who sells them in the store, not online (Babies R Us, BuyBuy Baby and Target in some states) and some smaller online companies will also take them if you email them ahead of time. The company does offer fantastic customer service, the few times I have had an issue someone got right back to me.
The cloth diaper community is awesome! I have met so many wonderful Mamas who are always willing to offer advice if you need it. I have noticed that gDiapers seems to be the red-headed step child of the cloth diaper world, I'm not really sure why though. To be fair I have never tried any other types of cloth diapers but the way I see it is they work for us, why mess with a good thing. The brand you use all comes down to personal preference...as for me, I'll keep my gs. And keep buying more too, sorry Hubby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment