Friday, April 5, 2013

New job week #1

I started my new job today, so far so good (except the other day when they told me last minute that I had to train to euthanize animals in case there is an emergency over night, it was horrible and I cried. To make it worse, I suck at it so I have 2-3 more days of training before they can certify me for it). I have been able to see Minion more often this week since the person I'm shadowing works either day shift or over night, I'll be on this schedule for another week then I follow someone else. I love seeing him more! Hopefully when I get my own schedule I will have at last a few day shifts mixed in.

I'm still trying to get my barrings but so far I really like it, I feel like I forgot everything I learned when I took these classes 7 years ago though so I'm kind of starting from scratch. I'm not sure how long I will be in training but I could not imagine doing this without a partner at all times...unfortunately it's going to happen but for now I get the comfort of having someone to have my back at all times.

It amazes me that the other drivers know the city so well, Philly is a big place and I can't see myself ever being able to navigate it without my GPS but they do it like it's nothing, some of them even know the zip code of that part of the city just based on the address...CRAZY. I guess I will get it eventually but some parts of the city all look the same and then you have the same street names in more then one area and I just find it confusing. There is also the issue that some of the streets are not even big enough to fit out vehicles down... that is one thing I am not looking forward to when they hand me the keys.

My days have been fairly boring so far, nothing crazy has happened (which is good and bad), it's hard to learn somethings without actually being in the situation but I still have plenty of training time to go. I caught a raccoon the other day but in all fairness it was sick and possibly blind, it didn't even run it just wanted to play with my control stick...not much of a challenge but at least I can say I did it. I'm looking forward to going to the wildlife rehab center at some point... it would be awesome if we had time to look around but I doubt it (making a mental note to find out if they allow visitors). I'm sitting at the job now (it's 2:20am) for my first official over night shift (I have done it before but not as a driver and I never left the building, to night we have left twice already and the shift just started at midnight) and aside from writing this post I am bored out of my mind, although one of the other staff members did just amuse me, our toilet apparently doesn't flush and Aunt Flo made an appearance (it was a nice 19 months without her), he kind of freaked out and said it hurt his feelings. HAHAHA seriously, I thought we were adults. My bad for not double checking a guess, why should I expect the toilet to actually flush the first time around... Silly me. I wish I could get on Facebook here so I could give some much needed attention to my blog page, they block everything here, at least Blogger works or I might be really lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment