Thursday, March 21, 2013

vaginal vs. c-section

Let me start this post by saying this is purely my opinion and I am not judging anyone for their decision.

When I found out I was pregnant I was so excited at the thought of giving birth (no not the pain just the act) and was really hoping to go natural. Part of it was because after watching too much Discovery Channel I was petrified to have a c-section; part because I just wanted to have that feeling that I did it all by myself (to an extent of course, I did go to the hospital for the birth). After my water breaking, 22 hours of labor, caving into the epidural, dilating to 10 cm and pushing for 3 hours my dream bubble was burst. Minion was just not having any parts of coming out and I ended up with an emergency c-section. He's stubborn just like his Mama and didn't give a crap about the eviction notice my body served him with. Now I have to admit it was not nearly as bad as I expected but it still hurt like nothing else I've ever felt afterwards. I was lucky enough to have Hubby for the first week and the his brother stayed with us for 2 weeks after that and was a huge help as well. All in all Minion and I are just fine (aside from the forever itching yet numb scar I have just below the belt that can't be scratched in public) and I am hoping to be able to have a V-BAC in the future.

With that said, I recently had a conversation with a pregnant Mama I know who is 32 weeks along, she was telling me that they are taking the baby a week early due to her age and such. I asked if they were inducing her and she so no, they were going to schedule a c-section and she was happy about it, she said she gave birth vaginally 10 years ago and does not need to go through it again, she just wants the baby out. Now like I said, no judgement at all, it's her body and she can do as she pleases but it did upset me personally. I would have given anything to deliver my son vaginally, I begged to make surgery a last resort (and had a doctor awesome enough to to wait as long as he possibly could). It still bothers me to this day that I didn't get that moment and Hubby didn't get to cut the cord, I know it wasn't anyone's fault and it could not be helped but I still get choked up about it. Of course I didn't say any of this out loud to the Mama, I kept it all inside so she wouldn't think I was looking down at her for her choice but I noticed that I did end the conversation sooner then I might have if her choice was different.

I guess this just goes right along with "we always want what we can't have". I don't think any woman's choice is wrong, I have my opinions and everyone else has theirs and that's OK. I never thought it would bother me so much to talk to a woman who chose a c-section though... this conversation was days ago and I still can't get it out of my mind. At the end of the day I'm just happy to have a healthy baby boy who I am able to breastfeed and looks at me like no one else in the world exists. Seeing him light up when I get home from work almost make going to work worth it. Sometimes the things I think about and feel strongly about since I became a Mom amaze and surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment