Saturday, March 16, 2013

Promotion!!!

7 1/2 years ago I started down the path to become an animal control officer/animal cruelty investigator, I have taken more classes then I can remember and put out a lot of money along the way. I was offered a job a few times with the same independent contractor in my county but he managed to screw me over 3 times (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, I'm pretty sure 3 times just makes me desperate), I was about to give up and started thinking about going back to school for something else when I caught a break. A big city animal shelter offered me a job as a dispatcher for their animal control department, it was only supposed to be part time but again I caught a break and very quickly moved to full time. While it wasn't the job I wanted and I was pretty sure I would hate it (I'm not one for desk jobs) it was a foot in the door so I took it.

About 6 months went by when a spot for an officer opened up...I jumped on it and handed in my resume extremely hopeful since I already worked in the department and had so much schooling, but 2 days later I found out I was pregnant with Minion so I went to my boss to pull my resume. It was very bittersweet at the time but I would not have changed a thing and to my surprise I actually really liked being a dispatcher.

Fast forward to this past January, another position opened up after months of my boss giving someone a chance over and over, finally he was just fired and it was over with. What seemed like weeks later (maybe it as) they posted the position as open, I was waiting in my bosses office to hand in my resume (which was in my locker) before she even finished putting the notices up around the building. 5 people applied, we all had our interviews and took a test (yeah I'm serious)over a month went by with no word of who was being hired...a second person was even fired in the mean time, I was starting to get discouraged, I just wanted to know if it was me or not. Well, yesterday after a very busy shift and no pump break (very painful by the way I don't recommend it) my boss pulled me aside and told me the job was mine!!!! I have not been given a start date yet since now she needs to replace me (which she only has a few weeks to do since she is 32 weeks pregnant).

I'm not sure it has completely sunk in yet... I've been after this job for so long and she told me at the beginning of my 3 day weekend, it just doesn't seem real. I will no longer be stuck at a desk as the shelters permanent vampire (I have only worked night shift for the past year and a half), I finally get to be more hands on with the animal rescuing, I may also have the opportunity to work the over night shift which means more time with Minion and less time for him with the babysitter. It's going to be rough I'm sure and I will probably be ore tired since I'll only be able to sleep when Hubby is home and Minion is napping but it's more money too and honestly, just spending those extra hours with him is enough to make me say yes. The only part of 3rd shift I am not looking forward to is disposing of our deceased, I'm not a fan of what we do and it borderline goes against my beliefs but I am 99% sure I'm going to suck it up and deal with it so I can enjoy the benefits. As a bonus, I'll have plenty of time to read on the 3rd shift.

Wish me luck!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment