Sunday, May 5, 2013

Le Leche League "unofficial" review

I say "unofficial" because I didn't write to them asking to review a product and I never had any intention on reviewing for them but I felt like I should share my experience.

Back in December I went to my first and last Le Leche League (LLL) meeting. I thought I was losing my breast milk supply (what a pediatrician told me and I didn't know any better at the time to challenge him) so I went to get some advise, while they did give me some useful tips I vowed never to go back. I felt attacked to be perfectly honest and very judged, when I explained what the doctor and I had talked about they just kept asking my why I was listening to the doctor and demanding to know what made me think I was losing my supply. Every time I tried to explain it was because I couldn't pump enough I was again asked why I was listening to a doctor... It was a terrible experience. At there suggestion I started taking Fenugreek and eating oatmeal everyday and within a week I noticed a significant boost in my pumping, awesome, but I couldn't shake the way they made me feel so I never went back. This is actually the first time I have ever told anyone about this because I did not want to put the group down, I figured it was just me. Fail #1.

I bought a hands free pumping bra sold by LLL a few months back, it was brands new with tags for a good price on ebay and I really wanted one so I went for it. I was so excited when it came, I threw it in the wash right away so I could use it the next day (I hang dry all my bras so it takes a while sometimes). I put it on and got dressed for work, pump bag in hand all set to be able to get some work done while I pumped... It didn't quite happen that way. The middle piece that the pump is supposed to fit through and be held tight against the breast was way to big, not the hole the fabric itself seemed to be cut to big. It wouldn't even stay hooked in place while I was wearing it. Other then that I liked the bra except I noticed later that if I wore anything other then a lose t-shirt (like my work uniform) the bra appeared lumpy. Fail #2

 photo oldbra_zpsca885e23.jpg

I contact the company via email and while a customer service rep got right back to me it was very difficult to get her to understand what I was talking about, I thought I was explaining it well and I even sent her pictures (not it my boob of course but just to show her what I was talking about). After a couple weeks I got no where, she was rude to say the least. This is our last few emails:

THEM: "I am sorry but I was asking my boss what else it could be because all looks good and we never heard of anyone else with this problem. And the place you purchased the item from did you ask them? What we can do for you is we have a bra called the PUMP BAND you can see it on the website and we could sell it to you $15.00 and n/c shipping if you would like."

ME: "Honestly I don't this it's fair that I would have to buy another product (even if it is at a discount) when I didn't break this one. It's obvious that it was just made wrong, a simple mistake. The fact that you or your boss have never been presented with this issue doesn't make it impossible. Unfortunately I can not return or exchange the item, it's just not an option."

ME: "I guess this conversation is over since I have not gotten a response in over a week. I'm disappointed that your idea of helping is to sell something different, I was not looking for anything for free just help and I'm not even sure you understand the issue I am having with the bra. I'll be sure to avoid your products in the future and I'll be writing about this experience on my blog as well."
Fail #3

The following business day I got a long response from a manager:
"My name is BLANK and I am the Operations Manager at Q-T Intimates and La Leche League International Intimates. As the 4th generation running this organization with my family, I can assure you that we would not have succeeded in this business for over 65 years with the sort of customer service that you received over the past few weeks. I'm extremely sorry and very disappointed in our customer service department and the care you received regarding your issue with our Hands Free Pump Bra. I really cannot apologize enough. Our policy here is that "we’re happy when you’re happy" and I personally want to make sure we can resolve this issue amicably."

This is just a partial but you get the idea. It took me almost 2 weeks to respond, I was mad because I felt that the only reason this got higher up was because I threatened bad reviews on my blog. And that's exactly what I emailed him. I never even acknowledged the statement but offered to replace the bra, I decided to accept and offered to send the one I had purchased back. When I received the bra I decided to try it on before removing the tags or washing it, at first I was pleased, the part that was too big before was perfect and I was about to write if off as simple manufacturing error like I thought the whole time... Until I fastened the outside of the bra closed. This time that part was too big and again I this time I can't wear it under anything because you can see it's lumpy. I know what bra size I am, I've recently been professionally sized and have no issues with any other bra I own so it's not me. Looking at the 2 together, the new one looks bigger but maybe it's just me. Fail #4

 photo 568c3984-f1c0-4913-ba62-9829571ac40b_zps75d6c526.jpg

I didn't even bother to write back, it's clearly not going to get me anywhere. I know millions of woman around the world have wonderful experiences with LLL and I'm not saying they are wrong or telling you not to go to them for help, the group is just not for me and I will never recommend them for anything. So now I'm stuck with 2 bras I can't wear... Great, because they aren't expensive enough (even though I only paid for 1 and at a somewhat cheaper then retail price).

*Note: I BLANKed the managers name because I don't want to get anyone in trouble, just wanted to share what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment